Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Asking for Help

One of my long standing problems has been my refusal to ask for help when I need it. My experience at Sears yesterday is a perfect example. I went to look for a treadmill. I have been having a lot of problems with my bowels while out walking, and I figured I can surely make it from the bedroom (where the treadmill will be) to the bathroom. I stood by one particular treadmill for at least ten minutes, but no salesperson appeared to help me. I could certainly have asked one of the salespeople from another department for help, but I didn't. That would be admitting that I can't manage everything on my own. Instead, I went home and ordered one over the internet. It was actually $50 cheaper on the net than in the store.

What I find interesting about this is that I have no problem asking God for help. I pray every day, mostly for other people, but sometimes for myself. I pray pretty often that I not get depressed again, and that my bowel problem will go away. Why do I find it so easy to ask God for help, and so hard to ask human beings, each of whom has a spark of the divine?

No comments: