Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Outcasts

As the week goes on, I feel worse about how I handled the situation with Don, explained in my previous post. He is an outcast: poor, queer, homeless, mentally ill, African-American. I'm white, middle class, currently mentally healthy, and have a home. Disciples are supposed to stand up for the outcast. I didn't stand up for Don in the way I should have. I ought to have told EMS and the police to take a hike, that there was no need for them. Instead, I let the situation spin out of control and Don ended up at Bellevue against his will.

I prayed this morning for forgiveness. I have a deep feeling that God has forgiven me for this, unconditionally. From now on I am going to try to do a better job of standing up for those who can't stand up for themselves.

I was feeling for a while like it would have been better if I had stayed in my apartment hiding out all weekend. At least then I wouldn't have had to deal with this situation. Except disciples aren't supposed to be holy hermits but actors for the reign of God in the real world. So I'm over that feeling. Pray with me for all those who are mentally ill and abused that someone will be there to stand up for them.

2 comments:

Lucky S. Michaels said...

You did nothing wrong... the Staff did wrong and we are workng on that portion as best we can given our limitations.

Clare Shipstead said...

I have had to place people into care when it wasn't their will. It's a joy to see them come out all the better for it. I pray that Don comes out of the hospital better than when he went in. Please don't feel bad about this situation. You did just what Rev. Pat had asked you to do. At least when Don went to the hospital he was cleaned up. We are asked to wash each other's feet and that is exactly what you did. Go Michael!