Sunday, November 23, 2008

Communion

I didn't offer communion today. I have a cold, and didn't want to spread my germs among the congregation.

I'm surprised by how much I missed it. Offering "these two tokens," "the body and the blood," of "Jesus, the risen Christ" is an integral part of my week, and renews me in a special way. It gives me great joy to give communion, because it connects me with people in a way that can't be explained. I both give and receive tremendous energy from the experience. I will be away next weekend too, visiting my friend Steve for Thanksgiving. It will be the first time in four years that I have missed two weeks in a row, except for the times I was in the hospital for depression. I am already looking forward to giving communion again.

1 comment:

Lucky S. Michaels said...

These two blessing were offered to you though and that is just as much of a blessing which you need to overcome your cold.